Here is another favorite recipe – for a dense, slightly sweet, wonderful breakfast bread. I mix my dough in a bread machine, but always use the “dough” setting, and then form the loaf, let is rise again, and bake in a conventional oven.
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato (about one medium sized yam or sweet potato, peel, cut into cubes and boil in water until soft, then mash with a fork and let it cool down a bit)
- 1/2 cup of lukewarm water
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/3 cup of (real!) maple syrup
- 4 and 1/4 cup of bread flour
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
Place ingredient in order given into bread machine, use dough cycle. When finished, remove the dough, knead to get air bubbles out, and place in a greased bread pan. Let rise for 45 min to an hour. Then bake in a pre-heated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes (or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped) Let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes on a wire rack, then remove from pan and let the bread cool completely. I usually brush the hot loaf with butter to make a softer crust.