This cake is one of our favorite chocolate cakes. It contains sour cream, which typically results in a
moist cake that keeps well. The dark chocolate ganache is a decadent icing, which further helps to keep the cake moist. I usually store the cake under a glass cover.
Ingredients for the Cake:
• 1 cup butter
• 1/3 cup cocoa powder (I use Hershey’s dark chocolate)
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup water
• 2 cups all purpose flour (I use King Arthur)
• 1 and 3/4 cups sugar
• 1.5 teaspoons baking soda
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions for the Cake:
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 F and thoroughly butter and flour a Bundt cake pan
2. Combine butter, cocoa, salt and water in a small pot, and heat on medium, stirring frequently until butter is melted (don’t overheat). Set aside to cool a bit
3. Sift the flour, baking soda and sugar into a large mixing bowl (I use a KitchenAid with whisk for this cake)
4. Add about half of the melted butter mixture to the flour mix and start whisking until combined, then slowly add the remaining butter mixture
5. Add the eggs, one at a time
6. Add the sour cream and vanilla
7. Whisk until the batter is smooth (may need to scrape the bottom of the bowl with a spatula to make sure it is all blended together)
8. Pour batter into prepared cake pan and bake in center of oven for about 40 – 45 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean. (my oven takes 44 minutes) Try not to over-bake it.
9. Place pan on cooling rack, and let cool down – about 15 minutes or so, before inverting onto cake plate. Let cake cool some more.
- 1 cup chocolate morsels
- scant 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
Combine 1 cup chocolate morsels (I use Hershey’s dark morsel, can also break up high quality chocolate into small pieces) and scant 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream in a double boiler. Heat on medium, stirring constantly. Watch carefully, stir until all the chocolate is melted and the mixture gets shiny – pull of heat immediately (chocolate will temper quickly) and stir. (if it seems too runny, add a few more morsels and stir them in) While still very warm, spread ganache on the cake.