- Blackberry harvest is coming to an end, we picked over 500 pounds. A few bushes are still bearing, but we are trimming out the old growth and tying up the shoots for next year.
- Doing well with watermelons – we have yellow and red ones. Both have amazing tastes!
- Picked enough tomatoes and onions for a batch of sauce
- Still making pesto dishes from all the basil
- Made 2 batches of blackberry jam (with Anja and Anna)
- Most importantly: Chambourcin grapes are ripening!!
- Harvested all green beans – they did not do too well this year, so we pulled out plants while harvesting. We canned 26 quarts of green beans and made a huge pot of ham & bean soup
- Besides cherry tomatoes, the first “Beef Heart” tomatoes are ripening
- Melons are doing well with all the rain, picked a cantaloupe (not quite ripe yet)
- We are up to 467 lbs of picked blackberries!
Here is what we harvested last week:
– 20 heads of cabbage
– Cherry tomatoes (maybe a quart so far)
– zucchini every other day for a meal, plus zucchini bread
– still getting onions, red beets and potatoes as we need them
– 280 lbs of blackberries total so far!!
We have been lucky and got some rain last week – one day it rained 1.5 inches in less than 30 minutes, but friends a few miles down the road had no rain at all. And just now we had another heavy downpour, so far there is 1/2 inch in the rain gauge, and it is still raining (which is why I am on the computer and not outside).
- Found first ripe cherry tomato
- Finished harvesting and freezing broccoli (20 bags in total)
- Picked enough nearly ripe blackberries off one row for a pie
- Finished stringing 2nd row of wires in the blackberry patch
- Tied up Apache blackberry shoots to the second wire
- Ran irrigation, alternating between garden and berries
- Chambourcin grapes are beginning to form
- It was an incredibly hot and dry week!
Harvested and froze broccoli – 9 bags this weekend
Continued picking blueberries – so far we made some jam, pies, muffins, coffeecake and cobblers. Trying to find the ultimate recipes.
Blackberries are beginning to fill, a few red ones have been sighted
Running a lot of irrigation, since we are lacking rain!
Flowers are in full bloom