Ingredients for the Crust:
· 1/2 cup of sugar
· 1 stick + 6 tablespoons of butter
· 2 cups flour
· 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
· 1 teaspoon vanilla
· 1 egg
Ingredients for the Filling:
· Approximately 6 large apples
· 2 tablespoons butter
· 2 tablespoons sugar (depends how tart the apples are)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix sugar and butter, until smooth
3. Add vanilla and egg and blend well
4. Mix flour and baking powder and add to mixture, blending well.
5. Take 2/3 of the dough and press it into a greased 9 inch springform pan, forming a 1 inch rim
6. Peel and finely slice apples and pour into prepared crust (just like a pie)
7. Dot apples with small pieces of butter and spring a little sugar on top
8. Roll out remaining dough on a well floured surface and cover the apples – this does not have to look pretty,
9. Dot with some more small pieces of butter and a little sugar
10. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 1 hour
Ideally, this is served with fresh whipping cream!