This year we decided to approach home winemaking more scientifically – not only are we writing down exact ingredients and keeping track of temperature, brix and hydrometer readings – we also keep track of how often we rack the wine, and make notes of color and taste variations throughout the process.
And we are making only small batches – but varying the recipes – for our blackberry wine. For this newest batch we just started (from our frozen berries) we are trying to reduce the amount of overall acid in the finished product. We did some research on the yeast varieties and are trying out a new one for this batch. We don’t want to change too many variables at the same time – we’ll know in about a year what worked best. This is not a hobby for the impatient, that’s for sure.