Bathroom Remodel – Week 10

The sink is now hooked up and the mirrors are hung and painted to match the vanity.  We were not able to modify the drawers of the old buffet to fit around the plumbing lines, so Jeff built two doors.   At least at this point we have a fully functioning bathroom.  Looks like finishing the rest of the room is on the “back burner” for now, as our new grapes will be arriving this weekend and fruitfarm/vineyard work will take priority for a while.



Lars installs mirrors
finished vanity
Posted in DIY

Bathroom Remodel – Week 9

Half the bathroom is now painted purple – well, technically, it is painted Smoked Mulberry – which is the same shade we used in the barn.  Once the bathroom paint dried, Jeff re-installed the toilet and also put up the two sconce lights above the double sink.   Tina then painted the “vanity” the same shade of green, “Mossy Aura“, as the guest room accent wall.  It sort of looks like a grape themed bathroom – imagine that!   Today, we purchased the remaining plumbing fixtures to actually hook up the sinks to the water and drain pipes.  Once that is hooked up, we can finish painting the cabinet drawers (which have to be adjusted for length, to allow the drain pipes to fit) and then we’ll have at least a functioning bathroom.

Posted in DIY

Bathroom Remodel – Week 8

Progress continues, though at a slower pace since the weather is warmer and all priority has shifted toward working on berries and grapes. Nonetheless, we finished grouting the bathroom floor and Jeff installed tile baseboards in half of the room. Tina finished mudding and sanding the drywall – also in half of the room. The last (4th) coat of drywall mud was put on this morning – this is really just a skim coat and will need minimum sanding. Maybe we’ll get primer painted this coming week.

Jeff worked on cutting down an old dining room buffet which we had bought at an estate sale years ago – for $10. The double sink vanity fit perfectly onto the buffet, once the original top was removed. This may just work. Not sure yet if we will paint the “vanity” or refinish the wood and cover it with several coats of polyurethane.

Leif is visiting and enjoying the whirlpool!
Posted in DIY

Bathroom Remodeling – Week 7

Finally seeing major progress.  During the week, Jeff used the air hammer to chisel out the remaining floor tiles.  We realized that there was not way we could find matching tiles to complement those that were originally in the bathroom, so all the old ones had to go.  Jeff and Lars then installed the corner shower base and connected the rest of the plumbing.  They even leveled out the floor, put down cement board and build a frame for the bathtub.  Basically, they got everything done, so that we could put floor tiles down this weekend.  Jens came and helped with that job.  By Sunday evening, the floor was done  – ready for grouting later this week.

Meanwhile, Tina finished painting, cleaning and moving the furniture back in the guestroom.  It’s actually totally finished, except for one outlet cover.  Grammy came and spend the weekend, which helped a lot – not only was there pressure to finish the guestroom for her to sleep in, she and Sammy kept up with all the cleaning, ironing, sweeping and wiping needed – since we created amazing amounts of dust, dirty tools, dirty laundry and muddy tracks.  Overall, a most productive weekend.  As an added bonus, it was Lars’s 15th birthday celebration, and we did enjoy the traditional dinner at Red Robin.

Posted in DIY

Bathroom Remodeling – Week 6

And we have progress!!  The whirlpool tub is totally installed, all the plumbing and the electric pump are hooked up and it works!  Not that anything surrounding the tub is finished yet, but Jeff did take a bath this evening 🙂

We also got all the wiring finished in the bathroom, and some of the lights are installed.  This is very helpful for working at night – working with the shop/job lights was getting old.

In the meantime, the guestroom wall is completely finished and now has its first coat of paint.  We decided to not simply paint the new wall a matching shade for the room – rather, we decided to completely redo the room.   Sammy helped to pick out the colors – which is always very reassuring.  The room is taking on a completely different look and it is so much fun to see this transformation.

The colors we chose are a rather muted dark green, a grayish light green and the same dark purple color we have in the barn.  All this is set off with a soft, very warm white for the trim.  We decided that the guest room, the laundry area and the bathroom need to use the same color scheme, just re-arranged, so that the transitions work well.

The bedroom – at the end of the weekend –  has a dark green accent wall, and will have dark green below the chair rail, with the light green above.  Purple is the accent color which we will pick up in the sheets, the quilts and other accessories.  All the moldings, doors and windows are trimmed with the warm white.  It looks very calming.

Posted in DIY