Handmade Handbags

I found a beautiful Vogue purse pattern and finally had enough time over the Thanksgiving holiday to try and make this purse.  My plan was to make it out of deer leather, which we had gotten tanned many years ago, but since this was my first attempt at making a handbag, I decided to sew a fabric purse first before sewing with leather. I enjoyed making both bags – it did not take as much time as I had thought.  Actually, I found it easier to make a purse than to sew a dress 🙂

Silly Hats for Little Boys

Could not resist buying a book with fleece animal hats for little kids – and then try some of those patterns.  These hats were for Toben (age 4 – Dinosaur) and Leif (age 2 – Monkey):

Sewing Purses for Little Girls

When the holiday season starts, and the evenings are too dark to work outside,  I love sewing, knitting or weaving projects for presents.  Since I just got the ultimate new sewing machine for my birthday (a Pfaff Expression 3.2), sewing projects got priority and I started with making a little purse for my oldest granddaughter, who will turn 3 soon.

I found the pattern online, at a great website called “Make It & Love It” and used fabric remnants I had on hand.  This turned out to be so much fun, that I figured even the younger, infant granddaughters could use purses for later, as could 3 “grand-nieces” and daughters of friends.  What started out as one purse project, ended with eight little purses – all lined with shimmering satin fabric and little button closures.

Greenhouse Installation

It has been a while since we purchased our greenhouse (see previous post).  We finally had time to actually set it up in it’s permanent place, i.e. in the herbgarden in front of the house.

We started by clearing the space, measuring out the dimensions and marking the four post holes. We used the posthole digging attachment with the tractor to make the holes.

Next we cemented the four corner posts and let them settle overnight.  The next day, we build the frame that would anchor the greenhouse, leveled it and started filling it with gravel.

In order to keep the greenhouse level, we had to really built up the back part of the plot.  We used field stones from an old stone wall to build a retaining wall, and back-filled with gravel and dirt.

Once the frame was solid, and the inside filled with gravel, we laid down large cement platters for a center walkway.  After that is was just a matter of carrying the greenhouse frame (no glass yet) and securing it to the foundation.

Next step:  installing all the glass panels, the door and the louvered windows…

A Greenhouse!

We had another lucky “Craigslist” find this weekend.  Around 10:00 in the evening, Jeff was browsing through the “Farm and Garden” category and someone had just posted an ad for a Greenhouse.  Not just any greenhouse, but an 8 by 12 ft GLASS greenhouse.  Jeff emailed immediately, and a few minutes later the phone rang.  It was the couple selling the greenhouse – we were the first persons to contact them, and we got it!  We drove to Hershey the next day to see it, and pay for it, and then went back with a trailer and a lot of tools (and helpers!), to dis-assemble the greenhouse and take it home.

The greenhouse is in really good shape, and we were able to order replacements hardware from a greenhouse manufacturer in the UK.  Seems that the majority of greenhouses in the US are made with high tech plastics, not glass, but in England the preference seems to be toward glass greenhouses.  Shipping will take about 2 weeks they said.

In the meantime, we re-assembled the structure, and carefully stored the glass in the barn.  We figured that if we did not put the greenhouse  back together while we still remembered how it came apart, it would turn into a major fiasco later on.
So the structure is sitting in the back yard, while we are making a spot for it in the herb-garden – between the house and the garage.  This is a very sunny spot, and putting the greenhouse between two existing buildings should shield it from the high speed winds.  We will have to do some leveling first, then concrete in some posts, and get a bunch of pressure treated lumber for the foundation.  And we need to get a load of gravel for the floor. Updates will come later…
Posted in DIY