Chronicles of the Long Shot Farm

A Patch of Blueberries

On Saturday we added a blueberry patch to our collection of small fruits. We planted them in front of a fence by the barn, that had been home to a large compost pile. After leveling the compost and working it into the ground, we dug holes for the 12 plants, and watered them with an acid fertilizer. We added a mixture of peat moss and potting soil into the holes and around the plants, which were two year old bushes. We’ll keep working on that ground to keep the pH around 4.7%. We chose to put the blueberry patch in front of an existing fence so that we’ll only need to add a few more posts in order to fence it in and cover the bushes with netting, once we actually have berries. We ended up planting the following varieties:

  • 2 Chipewa
  • 4 Bluecrop
  • 2 Misty
  • 4 Liberty

Transplanted Tomato Seedlings

Transplanted our two flats of Roma tomato seedlings during the last two evenings – not sure what we are going to do with 166 plants yet 🙂

We used 8oz clear plastic drinking cups, Jeff made holes in the bottom by heating a nail on a torch, then added regular potting soil around each seedling.

A New Home for the Treehouse

Today we finally moved the former “treehouse” to a useful location. We decided to put it into the grove of pine trees which is located at the far corner of the pond-side of our property. But first we had to do some tree trimming to make space for the treehouse – now called the playhouse. Then we carefully loaded the playhouse onto the trailer (with the help of the tractor), and pulled it with the four wheeler across the street to the new location.
Then we had to move the base ( the deck portion of the playhouse which used to be anchored between the trees) – Jeff did this with the tractor. Once the base was where we wanted the playhouse to be, we backed the trailer to it and tilted it (again with the help of the tractor) and slid the playhouse onto the base. After the playhouse was positioned on the base, Jeff used the tines of the tractor’s front bucket to lift first the front, then the back – while Zach stacked cement blocks under the base to make it level.

The playhouse still needs some boards replaced, and screwed to its base + a door and windows, and the railing…and maybe some front steps and a little deck – and a firepit…maybe some benches….

After all that, we planted the extra 20 pine seedlings we had gotten to make the grove of trees a little larger.

Henry and Henrietta

We have a pair of Canada Geese who made their home on our pond and started a family. We are calling them Henry and Henrietta.

Henry usually swims on the pond, on patrol it seems, while Henrietta guards her nest of eggs – which is right next to our stone bench.

Henry does not like it if we get to close to the nest though, so we have to be
sneaky in order to get a close-up photo. Even up close, it is difficult to see Henrietta on her nest.

A Little Orchard

Our tree order from the Cumberland County Conservation District arrived today – we had ordered 6 pear trees and 10 White Pine seedlings, but when we went to pick the trees up, they had extras for sale, so we bought 2 additional pear trees and 10 Colorado Spruce seedlings. Anja and Duff had given Jeff 4 of these pear trees as a birthday present and Jens and Grace had given us two peach trees for Easter.

We mowed the field on the road side of the garden and measured two rows, 20 feet apart, then drilled 5 holes in each row – also 20 feet apart…and planted our trees, which are probably 4 feet tall and are dwarfed by the large field. But we’ll call it our orchard despite the tiny trees.

  • 4 Bartlett Pears
  • 4 Bosc – Golden Russet Pears
  • 1 Elberto Semi-Dwarf Peach
  • 1 Belle of Georgia Semi-Dwarf Peach

The pine seedlings are still wrapped in newspaper waiting to be planted. But we did plant one pack of Melody spinach seed, which we had forgotten the other day.